Page 22 - Senior Housing Directory 2017 South Central Michigan
P. 22

Covering Costs at an AFC, HFA
or Unlicensed Assisted Living
The cost of residing at an adult foster care home, a home for the aged or in unlicensed assisted living varies from facility to facility. Costs will also vary within a facility depending on the services received.
Some people can afford to pay fees from their own income and savings. Others may have purchased long-term care insurance that pays all or part of the cost of assisted living. Unlike skilled nursing facilities, government financial assistance for assisted living is very limited. Many find it difficult
to find affordable assisted living. And if private funds run out, it may be necessary to move to another facility
If you are considering moving into an ACH, HFA or unlicensed assisted living, one of the questions you should be asking yourself is, “How long can I afford to live in this facility?" You should consider not only current costs and fees, but future increases. You also need to think about how your care needs may change and how that will impact costs. See page 21 for a more detailed list of financial questions.
Government Assistance
Some government assistance is available for residents of adult foster care homes and homes for the aged that meet strict eligibility standards. Additional assistance may be available for individuals who have a developmental disability or who have
a mental illness.
Veterans Administration
The Veterans Administration provides pension benefits to Veterans, their spouses, and widows or widowers with limited incomes. Probably the most underutilized Veteran’s benefit available is the VA Aid and Attendance Pension. This benefit pays
for home care, assisted living and adult foster care expenses, where traditionally, people would have to go into a nursing home to have the government (Medicaid) help pay for their care. This benefit is
a great alternative to Medicaid or even long-term-care insurance (for those who are not insurable). Information can be obtained by calling the Veterans Administration at 1-800- 827-1000.
Medicare and Medicaid
Medicare does not pay for room and
board. However, it will continue to pay for covered medical expenses, such as hospital care, prescribed home health services, and doctor visits.
Medicaid may be available to some residents. It will not pay the fees for room and board, but it may pay medical expenses including prescription medicines.
Specializing In Traditional Services
223 North Bedford Rd Battle Creek, MI 49037
Member of Selected Independent Funeral Homes
Let us help you to piece together the puzzle after sudden illness or injury
879 E. Michigan Avenue, Marshall, MI 49068
Aid and Attendance (A&A) is a special pension offered by the VA, which provides benefits for Veterans and their spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in their activities of daily living. There are four criteria to be met in order to apply for A&A; military service, medical need, assets, and income.

   20   21   22   23   24