Page 8 - Senior Housing Directory 2017 South Central Michigan
P. 8

Services Outside Your Home Accessory dwelling units (ADUs):
If you or a loved one owns a single- family home, adding an ADU to an existing home may help you keep your independence. An ADU (sometimes called an in-law apartment, accessory apartment or a second unit) is a second living space within a home or on a lot. It has a separate living and sleeping area, a place to cook, and a bathroom. Space like an upper floor, basement, attic, or over a garage may be turned into an ADU. Family members may be interested in living in an ADU in your home, or you may want to build a separate living space at a family member’s home.
Check with your local zoning office
to be sure ADUs are allowed in your area and find out if there are special rules. The cost for an ADU can vary widely depending on the size and cost of building materials and workers.
Adult Day Care Services - This program is for individuals who need daytime supervision and social activities. Adult day care can provide respite care outside your home. It is helpful to family caregivers who work or who simply need a break from care giving. PACE programs offer adult day services as
part of the enrollment in their program.
"Assisted Living" is designed for seniors who need gentle assistance with
activities of daily living such as dressing, bathing or medication reminders. Assisted living offers seniors a private apartment, dignified care and peace of mind that medical assistance is available round
the clock by pulling a cord or pushing a call button.
Each apartment is generally equipped with a kitchenette as well as a private bath with walk-in shower and safety bars. Some communities offer various sized apartments such as studio, one and two bedrooms. Social and recreational activities are offered daily. Three meals are provided each day tailored to special dietary requirements.
Special group outings are generally offered in assisted living communities along with community rooms, hair salons, exercise rooms, libraries, gift shops,
and other special amenities such as transportation to medical appointments. Some even offer in-house physical and occupational therapy.
“Assisted Living” is a marketing term used to describe a kind of residential care program. These businesses generally
are not licensed or inspected by the state, though some utilizing this title might actually be a licensed Home for the
Aged or AFC home. Be careful to read
all information about costs and services very carefully, and look at options before committing yourself to live at one of these residences. The rights and obligations
of the resident and the facility should be spelled out in the contract you sign.
Adult Foster Care (AFC) homes
are licensed and inspected by the state. AFC homes provide room and board, special diets, supervision and some personal care to adults who are frail but in generally good health. Personal care includes help with bathing, dressing and taking medications.
Some AFC homes specialize in
care for older adults, individuals with
a developmental disability, or the individuals with a mental illness.
There are usually fewer than 20 residents; many homes have fewer than six. Most AFC homes are private pay and do not accept Supplemental Security Income (SSI) as full payment. Residents pay
for their care with Social Security, pensions, other income, and savings.
Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs): CCRCs are retirement communities that offer more than one kind of housing and different
I came in with zero mobility and Arbor Manor helped me walk again! -Timothy F. Kelly-
ASK your discharge planner for Arbor Manor. • 517-750-1900
Most assisted living communities are private-pay, however a select few exist accepting other forms of payment such as Medicare/Medicaid or are income-based.

   6   7   8   9   10