Page 3 - Senior Times South Central Michigan - September 2017 - 24-09
P. 3

Senior Times - September 2017 Page 3
some utilizing this title might actually be a licensed Home for the Aged or AFC home.
Most assisted living communities are private-pay, however a select few exist accepting other forms of payment such as Medicare/Medicaid or are income-based.
Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs): CCRCs are retirement communities that offer more than one kind of housing and different levels of care. In the same community, there may be individual homes or apart- ments for residents who still live on their own, an assisted living facility for people who need some help with daily care, and a nursing home for those who require higher levels of care. Residents move from one level to another based on their individual needs, but usually stay within the CCRC.
Homes for the Aged (HFA) provide the same level of care as AFC homes. Absent a waiver, HFAs only serve people who are at least 60 years old. They are larger than AFCs, with 50 to 300 residents. Residents of HFAs use their income and savings
to pay for services. Like AFC homes, HFAs do not provide daily medical care, but a home health agency may come in to provide health care related services.
Hospice Care: Hospice is a program
of care and support for people who are terminally ill. The focus is on comfort,
not on curing an illness. As part of hospice care, you’ll have a specially trained team
of professionals and caregivers to provide care, including taking care of your physical, emotional, social, and spiritual needs.
Medicare covers hospice care if you qualify. Medicare doesn’t cover room and board. Medicaid may pay for some services that Medicare doesn’t cover. Medicare doesn’t pay for 24-hour assistance if you get hospice services at home. For more
information visit Independent Living, sometimes
called senior retirement communities,
are private-pay and are typically designed for seniors requiring very little or no assistance. Private apartments have full kitchen and baths, come in various sizes and usually include a limited meal plan. For an additional fee, you may arrange for housekeeping, laundry, and other services. Other amenities may include exercise and social rooms, entertainment, group trips, and other important options such as transportation to doctor’s appointments. Many offer call systems for emergency services.
Memory Care is tailored to care for
the special needs of seniors living with the diagnosis of dementia or other memory impairments. Commonly, individual rooms or apartments will be available designed within a closely monitored, secure environment.
These facilities offer special assistance to seniors with their activities of daily living with additional services by trained staff to prompt residents with continuous gentle reminders, allowing individuals to live at their highest quality of life in the most dignified manner.
Most memory care is private pay, however memory care is also offered in skilled care facilities, Adult Foster Care, and government run communities, such as the V.A.
Nursing homes, also called Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF), are for individu- als who need skilled nursing care and/or more personal care than can be provided
in another setting. Many individuals turn
to a nursing home when their income and savings cannot cover other long-term care options, when family members can no longer play a major role in care-giving,
or when they have 24-hour nursing needs.
Medicaid can pay for both skilled and basic care; Medicare covers only skilled care, and only on a short-term basis.
Sometimes a skilled nursing facility is
utilized as a place for rehab after surgery or injury to help the senior regain the skills and movement needed in order to return back to their home.
Programs of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): PACE is a Medicare and Medicaid program offered in many states that allows adults 55 and older, who otherwise need a nursing home-level of care, to remain in the community.
To find out if you’re eligible and if there’s a PACE site near you, visit
or, or you can call your State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) office. PACE services are available throughout the region that this guide covers.
Respite Care: Some nursing homes, residential care facilities, and hospice care facilities provide respite care. You may also get respite care in your home. Respite care is short-term assistance so the primary caregiver can rest or tend to their own needs. Medicare covers inpatient respite care for up to five days if you’re getting covered hospice care services. Room and board are covered for inpatient respite care and during short-term hospital stays. If you’re eligible, Medicaid will pay for some of these services at home that aren’t covered by Medicare.
Subsidized Senior Housing: There are state and federal programs that help pay for housing for some older adults with low to moderate incomes. Some of these housing programs also offer help with meals and other activities, like housekeeping, shopping, and doing the laundry. Residents usually live in their own apartments within an apartment building. Rent payments are based on your income. Long waiting lists are typical for subsidized housing in some areas.
Publishers Note: If you have limited income and resources, there may be state programs that help cover some of your costs in some of the long-term care choices mentioned. Call your State Medical Assis- tance (Medicaid) office at 1-800-803-7174 or 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
Join the Miles For Memories signature event to help change the impact of dementia in Calhoun County.
Community Stroll | Create a Team | Become a Sponsor Become a Volunteer | Sign up for the painting activity
Online registration at
Battle Creek Community Foundation
32 W. Michigan Ave, Ste 1, Battle Creek, MI 49017
BCCF/Miles for Memories
Calhoun County dementia programming. Collaborating on early stage research.
Creating solutions for those impacted by dementia in Calhoun County through movement, programming and research.
Call (269) 979-1412 Ext. 305 Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

   1   2   3   4   5